The dire health consequences of the recent Roe decision

This is a continuation of my last blog. The decision of the 5 to 4 Roe vs Wade decision was made in January of 1973. I was a teenager, restless and easily distracted, and was aware of the decision, but felt at the time a topic unrelated to my day to day life...

...as long as I minded my p's and q's...

..which I  did.

My fellow church mates at the local Baptist church never brought up the topic. Perhaps too egregious of a discussion to be brought up in Sunday School.

In the later years, abortion became a very hot topic. Anti-abortion protests erupted. Abortion doctors were murdered and death threats to healthcare providers were prevalent.  Even if l felt sad or angry of a child being yanked away from natural life l failed to realize at the time the dire and devastating consequnce of an unwanted pregnancies that women face.

That persuasion allowed me to see the while picture.

As I said in my last blog, this recent overturn of Roe will put a vast population of Americans in a mental health crisis. I wince when I think about the rise in teen suicides: unwanted pregnancies. The mental health facilities will be swamped and not able to handle all the cases. Those living on abortion-free states with little to no access will die from pregnancy complications. Rape victims are on their own. These Justices obviously acknowledged these scenarios but chose to choose a false religious narrative, that abortion is not right with God and somebody has to do something about it: deny healthcare access.  Then they shroud that false narrative in the guise of State Rights. Could it be the right for state governments to become Facist institutions? Let's not let that happen. The U.S of A. has become a patchwork of restricted abortion communities throughout the nation. Some mothers who are unable to be mothers fall through the cracks.

The decision to invalidate Roe was because "abortion" wasn't written in the clause. A technical omission of a word threw the whole Roe vs. Wade out the window! Those justices felt that the 1973 decision was egregiously wrong! That was their tactic: a single word. The Letter of the Law was apparently more important than the Spirit of the Law.

What ever happened to the spirit of the Constitution?

The protection of privacy for all.

Modern spiritual practictioners, Buddhist, Christian, Judaic, lslamic, Universalist/Existential ideology understand the value of life but show compassion for the child bearer or the woman unprepared for an unwanted pregnacy. As hard as it still is to adopt or have children adopted, I  can't imagine how much harder it will be to get a safe and legal abortion.

I refuse to succumb to the will of uncompassionate Justices. I will fight the good fight, even get in good trouble.

I hope the 5 justices who overturned Roe vs. Wade are happy. I'm not. That's why I'm going to the polls to fight to this ruling; Roe decision must be restored at all costs politically, economically and yes even my life.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Muscogee Summit

A Democrat sides with Republicans on this Topic